Edom had a grandson named Amalek (Genesis 36:12) who walked in his grandfather’s spiritual boots. Amalek also had murderous hatred and jealousy against Jacob’s seed (Genesis 27:41). Moses and Joshua had to confront the seed of Amalek on the desert battlefield of Rephidim (Exodus 17:8). Here is where the famous Bible story came to pass, where Joshua saw military victory as long as Moses’ hands were lifted up (Exodus 17:9-13): “So Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.”
The murderous intentions of Amalek and Edom would continue throughout history (see Ezekiel 25:12-14; 35:15; 36:5; Obadiah 1:10-21, etc), even to our present day. YHVH commanded Moses to “write this in a book as a memorial and recite it to Joshua, that I will utterly blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven.” Moses built an altar and named it ‘YHVH is My Banner.’ And he said, “YHVH has sworn: YHVH will have war against Amalek from generation to generation” (Exodus 17:14-16).
Edom, aka Amalek aka Palestinian
The Edomites invaded the Land of Judah in 601 B.C., settling in the area between Hebron and Bethlehem. This area was named Idumea, and King Herod and his dynasty were Edomites – the arch-enemies of the Jewish people. They murdered the Jewish farmers there, and occupied the Jewish homeland. Here is how the God of Israel describes their acts and their heart. He also prophesies over Edom about divine judgment which will come upon them at the End of Days:
- “I will lay My vengeance on Edom by the hand of My people Israel. Therefore, they will act in Edom according to My anger and according to My wrath; thus they will know My vengeance,” declares the Lord God. (Ezekiel 25:14)
- “Because you have said, ‘These two nations and these two lands will be mine, and we will possess them,’ although YHVH was there,therefore as I live, declares YHVH God, I will deal with you according to your anger and according to your envy which you showed because of your hatred against them. So I will make Myself known among them when I judge you.Then you will know that I, YHVH, have heard all your revilings which you have spoken against the mountains of Israel saying, ‘They are laid desolate; they are given to us for food.’” (Ezekiel 35:10-12).
- “Thus says YHVH God, Because the enemy has spoken against you, ‘Aha!’ and, ‘The everlasting heights have become our possession,’ — therefore prophesy and say, ‘Thus says YHVH God, For good reason they have made you desolate and crushed you from every side, that you would become a possession of the rest of the nations and you have been taken up in the talk and the whispering of the people. Therefore, O mountains of Israel, hear the word of YHVH God. Thus says YHVH Godto the mountains and to the hills, to the ravines and to the valleys, to the desolate wastes and to the forsaken cities which have become a prey and a derision to the rest of the nations which are round about . . . Surely in the fire of My jealousy I have spoken against the rest of the nations, and against all Edom, who appropriated My land for themselves as a possession with wholehearted joy and with scorn of soul, to drive it out for a prey” (Ezekiel 36:2-5).
The modern Palestinian movement has settled in the heart of these lands. Whether in Gaza (the Philistine base camp), in Hebron (the Edomite stronghold) or in Nablus (the Samaritan headquarters) – the Palestinians have had the extremely bad fortune to appropriate chunks of the homeland promised by YHVH. As Ezekiel and Obadiah prophesied, when God’s enemies occupy the Jewish homeland, they come under the curse of Genesis 12:3.
Jihad, the Muslim Brothehood and the Jews
The Gaza Strip was promised by God to the Jewish people (Numbers 34:1-6). Prime Minister Ariel Sharon decided to disengage from that area, mistakenly believing that the world community would prevent radical Islamist jihadi forces from attacking Israel – or at least that Israel would not tolerate even one rocket attack from Hamas or Islamic Jihad.
The hard light of reality shows that Sharon was deceived, and in actuality Gaza has become an Islamist dictatorship firing tens of thousands of rockets against Israel’s civilian population. “YHVH will have war against Amalek from generation to generation” (Exodus 17:16).
Because the Islamist takeover of Gaza was initially gradual, and because Israeli politicians and generals for the most part do not grasp the spiritual aspects of jihad and caliphate, Israel has not responded quickly and decisively enough to this clear and present danger. Our enemies continue to be a thorn in our side (Numbers 33:55; Joshua 23:13; Judges 2:3).
God’s calling on Israel is found in Psalm 118:10-14:
- All nations surrounded me. In the name of YHVH I will surely cut them off.They surrounded me, yes, they surrounded me. In the name of YHVH I will surely cut them off.They surrounded me like bees. They were extinguished as a fire of thorns. In the name of YHVH I will surely cut them off.You pushed me violently so that I was falling,but YHVH helped me. YHVH is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation!”
Proverbs 20:18 counsels us “By wise counsel wage war.” Proverbs 24:6 adds, “For by wise guidance you will wage war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory.”
On the morning of Monday November 11, an Israel Air Force airborne vehicle targeted and eliminated one of the top Islamic Jihad (IJ) terrorists in Gaza. This man was responsible for planning and directing many of the deadly rocket attacks on Israel’s civilian population. He was a high value target for some time, and the IAF was waiting for actionable intelligence. The safe room where he and his wife were hiding was the only room destroyed in that three-story building.
Islamic Jihad’s response was to declare open war on Israel’s civilian population. Over the past three days over 360 rockets have been fired by Islamic Jihad. Most have been blown out of the air by Israel’s Iron Dome anti-rocket missiles. Some have landed in open fields, and a few in civilian areas. So far there are no fatalities.
IJ has vowed to intensify rocket attacks. So far they have extended their reach to Modi’in and Latrun, 30 kilometers west of Jerusalem. They may well continue a game of brinksmanship.
Two possible developments: Hamas (the Muslim Brotherhood-related jihadi group) may feel the need to protect its jihadi credentials and enter into the fray. This would escalate the conflict in major way. Another possibility is significant Israeli casualties requiring a land invasion of Gaza. The coming few days are strategically significant here.
Avoiding war or winning it?
Israel’s civilian population is highly frustrated and angry at this low-intensity bubbling conflict. Most Israelis believe that it is possible to crush the jihadi forces only by a land invasion. But most Israelis also know that their leaders are hesitant to do so for a variety of reasons – world pressure and Israeli civilian casualties being two factors here.
How should we then pray?
- Pray for wisdom and divine strategies for Israel’s political, military and intelligence leaders
- Pray for safety for Israel’s civilian population being targeted by jihadi rockets
- Pray for minimal loss of life on all sides
- Pray for Messiah Yeshua to be revealed to and accepted by many hungry Jewish hearts
- Pray for the raising up of Ezekiel’s prophetic Jewish army throughout the earth
Your prayers and support hold up our arms and are the very practical enablement of God to us in the work He has called us to do.
In Messiah Yeshua,
Donations can be sent to:
FINAL FRONTIER MINISTRIES
BOX 121971 NASHVILLE TN 37212-1971 USA
Donations can also be made on-line (by PayPal or credit card) through: www.davidstent.org